In 2017, following a successful bid to Arts Council England, the Islands’ Partnership was selected to become one of 16 national Cultural Destinations projects, supporting the visitor economy by forging links between the culture and tourism sectors.
Our project, Creative Islands, has received funding for the past two years, and discussions are now underway about future plans. Partnership working has been a key theme, and Project Co-ordinators Tammy Bedford and Jeremy Brown have been supported and guided by a Steering Group which includes representation from the local artistic community and the visitor sector. Key local partners are the Isles of Scilly Museum and St Mary’s Library. Collaborations have also been developed with mainland cultural organisations including Cultivator, Cornwall 365, RIO, Feast, Carn to Cove and Falmouth University.
Creative Islands has an Artistic Plan which is aligned with the Destination Management Plan, and our aims have been:
- Delivering a cultural programme which engages both residents and visitors
- Placing Scilly on the cultural map, and using culture to reposition the Isles of Scilly
- Supporting and raising the profile of the artists and events already here
- Introducing new artists and projects using culture and creativity as a way of exploring Scilly’s distinctiveness
- Developing new partnerships on Scilly and beyond
Projects undertaken in the past two years have included:
- Publication of high quality Arts Guide: https://issuu.com/simplyscilly/docs/ios-arts_directory_
- Creative Scilly festival – over 70 events with artists, musicians and writers, including first time visits for Rogue Theatre, Story Republic, Paddleboat and more
- Young Curators – collaboration between the Isles of Scilly Museum and year 7 students from the Five Islands Academy, resulting in the publication of a 56-page magazine aimed at visitors
- Walking Stories – 5 acclaimed authors commissioned to write site-specific short stories, available as audio downloads and illustrated publication: https://www.visitislesofscilly.com/explore/walking-stories
- Artist residencies – 3 projects each of which invites artists to Scilly to develop proposals for a new permanent commission focusing on distinctive aspects of Scilly life
We will post further details and updates as our future plans progress, so watch this space. For more information please contact email@example.com